1. What is your favorite WOD(s) or Skill(s)?
I like the longer Hero WODS. While I don’t always do well in them, I like the challenge that comes with these benchmark WODS.
2. What WOD is at the bottom of your list?
I don’t have a WOD that I dislike (although not a fan of a WOD that includes ring dips). I am not that good at short sprint WODS that involve a lot of bodyweight movements and would like to be able to perform bodyweight movements at a higher level.
3. How would you describe your diet? (Paleo, Primal, Zone, Clean, etc.)
Fairly strict zone during the week. I tend to relax my diet on the weekends.
4. How did you hear about CrossFit Trenches?
I was a CrossFitter before I moved to the area in June of 2015. Prior to moving I searched the Affiliate Finder Map on the CrossFit main site and came across a few boxes. Trenches was the closest. I dropped in a few times and group was always friendly and encouraging so no need to shop around after that.
5. How long have you been doing CrossFit?
About 2 ½ years.
6. Describe your biggest milestone, achievement, or “A-ha” moment at CFT?
Getting double-unders was an “a-ha” moment. I worked for a long time without any progress and, while traveling, dropped in at a box in Tupleo, MS. The coach there fixed one or two things and bang, I had them. It took me a while to string more than 10 together but I worked on them every morning after the WOD for a while to improve my skill. Another one is getting pull ups. When I started I couldn’t do a strict pull up and looked real clumsy trying to kip them. I finally made up my mind to not scale them in a workout and I improved from there.
7. What encouragement or advice would you give to new people coming in?
Don’t be intimidated and don’t stop coming!! We all struggle, we all have deficiencies. You will be surprised in the progress (and the friends) you make in the first 6 weeks. Embrace the “CrossFit Family” that is at the box. I drop in a lot of other CrossFit Boxes when I travel and there is truly a CrossFit Community.
8. What’s your favorite motivational quote and why?
I don’t have one favorite quote. One that I do like is in the First Book of James Verse 19 –
“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.”
We should all listen more and speak less and getting angry usually never solves the problem.
I also like quotes from Vince Lombard. Some are:
– “Individual commitment to a group effort – that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work.”
– “The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.”
And one from lyrics of the Blues Traveler song Just Wait:
– “There’s no such thing as a failure who keeps trying, Coasting to the bottom is the only disgrace”